Resources for Grandparents raising grandchildren

Outside the Time for Grandparents program, there are many resources for Grandparents raising grandchildren. Click on the below topics to view some useful links.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health services


This Queensland Government website provides information about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health services throughout Queensland including health services – social, emotional and mental health services – youth health services – dental care – remote and rural services – transport to medical services – immunisation – breast cancer – poison information – Medicare.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Service (Qld) – ATSILS

Phone: 1800 012 255  

ATSILS offers legal representation for Aboriginal peoples and Torres Strait Islander peoples in criminal, civil and family law. They can help if you need: criminal law representation and advice – family law representation and advice – civil law representation and advice – prisoner Throughcare services to address recidivism – coronial and public sector monitoring – 24 hour assistance at police stations. The toll free number operates 24 hours, 7 days.


Phone: 13 92 76  

We are here to provide crisis support 24/7 to yarn with you without judgement and provide a confidential, culturally safe space to yarn about your needs, worries or concerns. We will work with you to explore options for on-going support. You know you will be connected to another Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander person who will understand where you are coming from and value knowing HOW to listen, without judgement or shame. We listen without judgement. Confidential and anonymous. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Crisis Supporters.

Mob Strong Debt Help

Phone: 1800 808 488  

Mob Strong Debt Help is a free legal advice service about money matters for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples from anywhere in Australia. They specialise in the law about consumer loans (like credit cards, payday loans, car loans and home loans), banking, debt recovery and insurance (like car, home, travel, life, funeral, pet insurance). They are a non-government, non-profit organisation. They provide information, advice and assistance to individuals and also argue for a fairer financial services market for consumers, particularly low income and disadvantaged consumers.

Child Safety Regional Intake Service


There are 4 types of child abuse – physical – sexual – emotional – neglect. Child abuse can be a single incident or several incidents that take place over time. If you have a reason to suspect a child in Queensland is experiencing harm, or is at risk of experiencing harm, you need to contact a Child Safety Services’ Regional Intake Service. Trained child protection workers talk to you about your concerns for the child. They will record information you provide and gather other information that may be helpful in assessing the situation. The worker will then decide the best way of responding to the information you have provided. When you contact a Regional Intake Service to report your concerns, your details will be confidential and your identity, if provided, will be protected by law. A Regional Intake Service receives information and child protection concerns from community members, government and non-government agencies during business hours (from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday). Outside of these hours, you can contact the Child Safety After Hours Service Centre on phone freecall 1800 177 135 (Queensland only). Phone Triple Zero (000) if it’s an emergency or if you believe a child is in immediate danger or in a life-threatening situation.

Australian Child Care Alliance QLD

Phone: 07 3808 2366  

Childcare Queensland underwent a rebranding process in 2014 and merged with other state associations across Australia to form Australian Childcare Alliance (ACA). ACA is a unified national body that represents the interests of the long day care sector across Australia. ACA Qld has existed in various forms for more than 30 years and is run by a management committee comprised of its members. The management committee are owners, operators and managers of long day care services with extensive knowledge and experience in the fields of early childhood, education and training, and management.


Centrelink – Child Care Subsidy


Assistance to help you with the cost of child care. To get Child Care Subsidy (CCS) you must: – care for a child 13 or younger who’s not attending secondary school, unless an exemption applies – use an approved child care service – be responsible for paying the child care fees – meet residency and immunisation requirements. CCS replaced Child Care Benefit and Child Care Rebate when they stopped on 1 July 2018.

Child Care Finder


Early learning and child care provides the foundation for children to develop both educationally and socially in a safe environment, while supporting parents into work. The Australian Government provides a number of subsidies and programs to help you with the cost of your child care. More information about Centre Based Day Care, Family Day Care, In Home Care, Outside School Hours Care, Preschool and Kindergarten Programs can be found at the link above.

Foster and Kinship Care Support Line

Phone: 1300 729 309  

In response to COVID-19, the Foster and kinship carer support line – provided by the Child Safety After Hours Service Centre – has been enhanced, with additional staff recruited and support extended to include business hours. The team includes experienced foster and kinship care workers who value and appreciate the voluntary and challenging role that foster and kinship carers undertake in providing care and safety to the most vulnerable children in Queensland. The workers have many years of experience working with foster and kinship carers and specialist knowledge to support them during this difficult time. Call 1300 729 309 (24 hours, 7 days a week). The support line provides support to foster and kinship carers, including: – clear information in relation to COVID-19 related matters – direct phone support to carers who call the line – crisis response and support – proactive support to carer households and to new Provisionally Approved Carers.

Child Care and Playgroups


Queensland Government website containing information about playgroups, types of early childhood services, finding and choosing an early childhood service, quality assessments and ratings, kindergarten programs, preparing for Prep, rebates and financial assistance, family support services, complaints about child care services and contacts for more information.

Family Relationship Advice Line

Phone: 1800 050 321  

The Family Relationship Advice Line is a national telephone service established to assist families affected by relationship or separation issues. The Advice Line provides information on family relationship issues and advice on parenting arrangements after separation. It can also refer callers to local services that can provide assistance. The Advice Line complements the information and services offered by the new Family Relationship Centres. It ensures that people who are not able to attend a Centre can be helped. The Family Relationship Advice Line 1800 050 321 is available from 8 am to 8 pm, Monday to Friday, and 10 am to 4 pm on Saturday (local time), except national public holidays. What can you expect to Recieve? The Family Relationship Advice Line will be available to provide you with: Information about services to help people maintain healthy relationships. Information about the family law system. Advice on family separation issues. Guidance on developing workable parenting arrangements after family separation. Advice about the impact of conflict on children. Referral to Family Relationship Centres and other dispute resolution services. Organisation of telephone dispute resolution for people unable to attend a family dispute resolution service. Referral to a range of other services to help with family relationship and family separation issues.


Phone: 1300 301 300  

Parentline is a confidential telephone counselling service aimed at providing professional counselling and support for parents and all who have the care of children. Parenting is the most important task in our community. Often it is a puzzling and difficult task. Sometimes, it just seems too hard. At those times, you need someone experienced and trained to talk things over with and to get some guidance on ways to manage your children, and yourself, more effectively. Parentline supports and nurtures positive, caring relationships between parents, children, teenagers and the significant other people who are important to the well-being of families. Whatever the situation: a new addition to the family, concerns about children growing up, the pressures and responsibilities of parenting, the need to find some time for themselves… or just the need to have someone listen to them for a change! Parentline is there for you.


Relationships Australia

Phone: 1300 364 277  

Providing support and guidance to grandparents who are the primary care providers for grandchildren. Relationships Australia can help you to – develop a positive relationship with your grandchildren – maintain relationships with friends and family – manage and maintain contact between grandchildren and their biological parents – access information and referrals for appropriate services – maintain your self identity and independence – bridge the generation gap between you and your grandchildren.

UnitingCare Community QLD


Counselling is a process of talking, listening and working issues through which help to creatively resolve problems. There are counselling centres operated by the UnitingCare community across Queensland. Most of the services that offer counselling have particular programs aimed at assisting families to cope. Many of the centres provide workshops that focus on issues like anger management, self esteem, communication skills and improving parenting techniques in face to face or group programs and through individual counselling sessions. To locate a counselling service in your area click on the link.


Phone: 13 11 14   

You are not alone. We’re here to listen. Every 30 seconds, a person in Australia reaches out to Lifeline for help. We are a national charity providing all Australians experiencing emotional distress with access to 24 hour crisis support and suicide prevention services. We exist so that no person in Australia has to face their darkest moments alone.


Phone: 1800 650 890  

Headspace is a confidential, free and secure space where young people 12 – 25 or their family can chat, email or speak on the phone with a qualified youth mental health professional. Visit the eheadspace website or call 1800 650 890. If you are in an emergency situation or need immediate assistance, contact emergency services on 000. If you need to speak to someone urgently, call Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800 or Lifeline 13 11 14.

Mental Health Care Plan


If you are experiencing issues or concerns about your mental wellbeing, you might be eligible for a mental health care plan which can help you get appropriate support and treatment. A mental health care plan is a plan your doctor writes with you about treating a mental health condition. It helps you to access eligible allied health professionals like psychologists, social workers or occupational therapists who can help you to get better and live well. A mental health care plan can be useful for people with minor mental health conditions or very serious conditions, short-term concerns or long-term illnesses. You don’t already have to be diagnosed with a mental health condition to talk to your doctor about making a mental health care plan. Having a mental health care plan makes appointments with eligible allied health professionals more affordable. If you have a mental health care plan, you are entitled to a Medicare rebate on up to 20 individual sessions or group appointments with a psychologist, social worker or occupational therapist in a calendar year. To start with, your doctor or psychiatrist will refer you for up to 6 sessions at a time. If you need more, they can refer you for further sessions. A mental health care plan needs to be created by your doctor. You can visit your regular GP, or if you don’t have a doctor you normally see, any GP can create a mental health care plan for you. Creating a plan can take a little longer than a normal appointment, so it can help to ask for a longer or double appointment when you make your booking. Your doctor can refer you to a service in the area, or, if you want you can research before you go to the doctor what service you might like to use. beyondblue have a national directory you can use to find a service in your area.

Asperger Services Australia

Phone: 07 3865 2911  

Asperger Services Australia started as a small support group for parents of children with Asperger’s and we’ve been helping individuals and families since 1994. We believe in peer led support and the majority of our staff are volunteers with direct ‘lived’ experience with Asperger’s. We offer four key ways to help families, including: peer support groups; life skills programs; information support and referral services; and peer mentoring.

Hearing Australia

Phone: 134 432  

Your hearing is our passion. For over 70 years, we’ve had the privilege of helping Australians rediscover the joy of sound, keeping you connected to the people and life you love. With a dedicated team, we are the nation’s largest provider of government-funded hearing services for children, young adults under 26, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, pensioners and veterans. With over 600 locations across Australia, we’ll work with you to deliver on our promise to offer world-leading hearing solutions anyone can access– to make a difference to you, your family as well as the communities we serve.

Autism Queensland


Autism Queensland provides a comprehensive range of education, therapy and support services to assist people of all ages on the autism spectrum, their families, and the professionals working with them.

Carer Gateway

Phone: 1800 422 737   Website: 

Carer Gateway is a national online and phone service that provides practical information and resources to support carers. The interactive service finder helps carers connect to local support services.

Companion Card

Phone: 137 468  

If you have a disability and a lifelong need for ‘attendant care support’ in order to participate in community activities and attend venues, the Companion Card can help you with the costs of getting out and about with the support of a companion. Companion Card holders receive a second ‘companion’ ticket at no charge at participating venues and on public transport. The ‘companion’ ticket is also exempt from booking fees. The Companion Card is issued in the name of the person who has a disability, and is valid for 5 years. A companion is any person who accompanies a cardholder and provides attendant care support. The cardholder’s chosen companion may be a paid or unpaid assistant or carer, family member, friend or partner.

NDIS – National Disability Insurance Scheme

Phone: 1800 800 110  

The NDIS is Australia’s first national Scheme for people with disability. It provides funding directly to individuals. The NDIS can provide all people with disabilities with information and connections to services in their communities such as doctors, sporting clubs, support groups, libraries and schools, as well as information about what support is provided by each state and territory government.

Disability Gateway

Phone: 1800 643 787  

The Disability Gateway has information and services to help people with disability, their family, friends and carers, to find the support they need in Australia.

People With Disability


Queensland Government website containing information about support for adults, children and young people with a disability and their families, carers and friends.

Computers 4 Learning


Nundah Rotary’s Computers 4 Learning project can provide low cost, refurbished computers to people of any age who are disadvantaged by the lack of access to a computer AND who meet their eligibility criteria. To be eligible for a computer, you must have a valid pension card, healthcare card or student card, or similar and must be followed by a letter of support from an appropriate third party. Support letters can be accepted from: A school teacher on School stationery only, a person of standing in the community (eg. a policeman, medical doctor or minister of religion who is personally familiar with the eligible beneficiary), a worker of a recognised community service organisation, or an employee of a registered or non-profit organisation on official organisation stationery only. Letters from third parties only need to contain a statement that the writer has investigated the circumstances of the applicant and are satisfied that the applicant meets the criteria advertised on the Computers 4 Learning web site.

Education Queensland

Phone: 137 468  

Queensland Government website for parents and carers containing information about enrolment, starting school, school information, activities and sports, parent and community engagement and parent participation.


Phone: 07 3391 7900  

SPELD Qld provides support and services for students and adults experiencing learning differences, their families and professionals. Speld Qld is a state wide organisation working with State, Catholic and Independent schools and also offering services to training organisations and workplaces. Working with families and teachers, our not for profit organisation provides evidence-based advice and services to assist students to meet their individual educational needs. Support includes an advisory line, assessment service, assistive technology, intensive literacy programs, parent support groups, learning at home resources and library.

Learning@home Website


The Department of Education has a number of online tools and resources to support students. Curriculum resources are available for students to complete at their own pace. Students in Prep to Year 3 may require support to read and understand instructions. The resources provided here are a sample of activities that can be printed and are designed as a support tool for students to continue their learning and engage in familiar activities essential to their learning and wellbeing. Additional online resources are available for Queensland state school students through the Learning Place website using student log in. This is the same logon and password that students use to log onto the computers in their classrooms.

NILS – No Interest Loan Scheme

Phone: 13 64 57  

A No Interest Loan can be used to pay for education essentials like laptops and books. You are eligible if: you have a Health Care Card / Pension Card or earn less than $45,000 a year after tax ($60,000 for couples or people with dependants); you have lived at your current or previous address for at least 3 months; you can show that you have the capacity to repay the loan.

Saver Plus Program

Phone: 1300 610 355  

Eligible participants who complete the Saver Plus Program have their savings matched (up to $500) by ANZ for education-related expenses for themselves or their children. Saver Plus is a 10 month financial education and matched savings program developed by ANZ and the Brotherhood of St Laurence. Saver Plus is available through a range of community agencies in 60 locations across Australia.

Spark Their Future


A Department of Education online resource for parents of teenagers who are struggling to stay engaged in school or learning. When your child is struggling at school or refusing to go to school, knowing you are on their side is what matters most. Every child has something to offer and deserves success, whatever that looks like for them. Keep believing in your child and work with them to find something that brings them joy – an activity or interest they want to spend time on. When your child does something they enjoy and can learn to do it well, it helps build their confidence. Over time, and with the right support, you can grow that spark inside your child. And as your child’s confidence grows, and with your help, they will feel ready to get their learning back on track so they can get the most out of going to school.

Food and Bills


Charities and community organisations have emergency relief services to help you with things like – food vouchers or food parcels – transport vouchers – chemist vouchers – clothing or furniture – part-payment of utility bills – help with back-to-school costs. Contact your nearest Salvation Army on 13 72 58 or St Vincent de Paul Society on 13 18 12 or your local community centre, church or community organisation.

Neighbourhood and Community Centres


There are more than 125 neighbourhood and community centres which provide friendly, localised access to individual, family and community services. There are centres in rural, remote and urban communities throughout Queensland. The centres provide services to a wide cross-section of the community, including people who are marginalised or have significant needs. Community Connect services support vulnerable individuals and families with complex needs. The services can connect you to social programs and support services, including counselling, parenting help, financial literacy or crisis supports. Community Connect services are available in 12 high demand neighbourhood and community centres: Bowen – Chinchilla – Darra – Eagleby – Emerald – Gympie – Laidley – Manoora-Mooroobool – Monto – Mossman – Nerang – Upper Ross (Rasmussen).

Activities for kids

There are many indoor and outdoor recreational, sports and fun activities for grandchildren. In some cases, Time for Grandparents may be able to assist with funding for your grandchildren to participate. 

Enquire now

Need more information? Please call our Grandparents Information Line/Seniors Enquiry Line on 1300 135 500 between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday, and ask for Time for Grandparents; or fill out the enquiry form below.

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Time for Grandparents